It’s Meatless Monday and to celebrate this amazing day, I made Four Cheese Jumbo Shells.
Jumbo shells are to me what water is to fish…essential. You just can not go wrong with stuffed shells. They are big, filled and topped with incredible cheeses, and utilize just the right amount of vegetables to make it still feel like it is as healthy as a salad. Obviously I know this isn’t the case, but it really doesn’t matter when you are eating stuffed shells.
This recipe easily feeds a family of 5 with abundant leftovers, and I hope you enjoy it as much or more than I do! Without further ado, Four Cheese Jumbo Shells.
- 1 pound jumbo shell pasta (~40 shells)
- cooking spray
- 1 (12 oz) carton low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 (15 oz) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded Asiago cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) grated, fresh Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh chives
- 1 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 6 cups Marinara
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions (avoid adding salt) then drain and set aside
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Place cottage cheese and ricotta cheese in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine the cottage cheese mixture with the Asiago, Parmesan, chives, parsley, black pepper, salt, and spinach
- Spoon 1 tablespoon cottage cheese mixture into each shell. Place half the stuffed shells, seams up, in one prepared dish. Pour 3 cups of marinara over the shell, sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining stuffed shells, marinara, and mozzarella in a second dish
- Cover with foil, bake at 375 F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated
Until next time,
The Part Time Vegetarian