Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are part of many delicious lunchtime meals as a vegetarian. They are quick, easy, and quite filling. The biggest problem that I have run into with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is that it gets old quickly. The cold jelly, sticky peanut butter, and dry bread all lead to a lunch which goes from enjoyable to boring after only a couple of days.
So today I aim to fix this.
While still in school, I was introduced to grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and there really is no going back after having one. Although it is still simple to make, by “grilling” the sandwich as one does a grilled cheese sandwich the entire sandwich changes.
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (Skippy of course)
- 2 tablespoons jam (strawberry)
- ~1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- On a plate place the slices of bread down and spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the jam on the other.
- Combine the two slices of bread to create the sandwich, then coat each side of bread with enough butter to coat their surface.
- Place the sandwich in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat. Continuously check the bottom side to see if it has reached the golden brown phase seen in the picture above, then flip the sandwich and repeat.
- Transfer the sandwich to a plate and serve immediately.
Until Next Time,
The Part Time Vegetarian