I’ve said this before, and I will say it again, nothing compares to gnocchi. The light, welcoming texture of the gnocchi combined with a cheesy, well seasoned sauce creates a miniature heaven in your mouth. When I began making this recipe yesterday I planned on making BOTH the gnocchi and the sauce by hand, but I found out that gnocchi takes much longer than I had time for. I had planned for a quick lunch, but ended up with an hour mess. Luckily the potatoes I had prepared for the gnocchi were fully cooked and I ended up making mashed potatoes instead.
Today, all the wiser, I purchased a prepackaged gnocchi from Cucina Viva and made this with a simple sauce. Despite my shortcut, I wanted to share the recipe I was going to follow for the gnocchi. You can find that recipe here. Don’t feel bad though if you follow my lead, it is significantly easier (especially if you are new to cooking like me).
The sauce was a simple recipe I found with a different gnocchi recipe. I knew I wanted to have a cheesy sauce, so I chose the Parmesan and sage one below. Gnocchi is nice in that you can literally flavor it with any sauce you want and it is still the perfect dish. So go crazy, and don’t let my recipe dictate your gnocchi eating experience.
- 1 package (17.5 oz) Cucina Viva Gnocchi with Potato [Any brand will work]
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon, finely chopped sage
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan
- Bring 10 – 12 cups of water to a boil.
- Add about half of the gnocchi so that it covers the bottom in a thin layer and continuously and gently stir.
- The gnocchi will rise to the surface, let it cook for 1 more minute, then carefully remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon. Repeat this process for the second half of gnocchi
- For the sauce, combine the butter, garlic, sage, and 1/4 cup Parmesan in a small sauce pan and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Combine the gnocchi with the sauce, and add the remaining Parmesan and black pepper. Stir, and serve.
Until next time,
The Part Time Vegetarian